Riverside Truck Accident Lawyer
Riverside’s local roadways connect the busy ports of Long Beach and L.A. to the Inland Empire. Major freeways in the area include the I-215, Route 91, and Route 60. In an effort to accommodate the increase in traffic, a multi-level interchange was built out. However, some sources (like The Press-Enterprise) show that this update is just not enough, and big trucks can often be found trying to find alternate routes to get to their destinations.
This leaves big trucks taking unique routes in order to complete their trips more quickly. The worst part is that other drivers on the road encounter these big rigs in more and more places, causing an increase in truck accidents.
Massive three-ton and five-ton vehicles shouldn’t be on certain roads, but that doesn’t mean they don’t drive on them. The City of Riverside has attempted to keep larger, more dangerous vehicles off some residential roads, but it’s not an easy task.
Why Hire Riverside Truck Accident Attorney?
Any collision between two cars can result in a dangerous car accident. However, add a heavy commercial truck – frequently with a payload – to the mix, and the situation is often much more serious. Injuries following big trucking accidents may be catastrophic or deadly. Moreover, your vehicle is most likely totaled. Any goods or valuables you were transporting at the time of the accident will also be destroyed.
An attorney helps you think through the damages you suffered. Plus, they will handle the paperwork associated with filing a truck accident claim, which gives you the freedom to concentrate on regaining your health.
Our team at MKP Law Group, LLP knows the complications that can arise when it comes to big rig accidents resulting in a truck accident injury. We understand the local Riverside transportation laws and have experience in injury litigation. We know how to deal with insurance companies so that you do not have to. We also work with medical doctors, therapists, and professionals who can treat injuries resulting from the accident so you can focus on getting better.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a Riverside truck accident, you need a Riverside truck accident lawyer who can help you get the compensation you deserve. There are no upfront, out-of-pocket costs to our clients. Call us today at 310-285-5353 to schedule your 100% FREE consultation.
Honing in on the Causes of Big Rig Accidents
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) works to uncover the causes for frequent accidents. Some common issues for truck accidents include “illness” or “physical impairment.” Of course, there are other causes for these accidents as well, such as:
- Fatigue: Drivers are on tight schedules to deliver freight. While there are laws that drivers should follow for the length of time they can drive each day, even still, deadlines often result in unsafe behaviors such as driving while overly tired or sick.
- Driver error: Frequently, new drivers make errors when attempting to compensate for mistakes. Examples include over-steering or swerving.
- Mechanical problems: Even the best driver has difficulty driving safely if the truck has mechanical problems. Some have to do with insufficient preventative care. Others may be the sudden failures of mechanical systems.
- Cargo problems: Did a tarp loosen and flutter over the truck’s cab, thereby reducing the visibility of the road? Maybe some of the load shifted, resulting in problematic turns? Or perhaps loose cargo falling off the truck bed has caused a road hazard. Many problems can arise with cargo loads and result in dangerous driving situations, especially when driving at high speeds on the highway.
6 Steps to Take After a Riverside Truck Accident
The aftermath of a truck accident is not the time to worry about money and vehicle replacements. Sure, the trucker’s insurer will most likely try to contact you right away. However, your health and well-being are of first importance.
If you have just experienced a truck accident – whether it is a city truck, owner-operated rig, or commercial big rig – follow these 6 steps to help protect your rights:
- Obtain Driver’s Truck Insurance Information: It is always best to obtain insurance from all drivers involved in the accident and their contact information.
- Obtain Witness Contact Information: Often, car or truck accidents can result in a game of “he-said-she-said.” Collecting as much witness information as possible as soon as possible after the accident can prevent you from falling into that never-ending debate. Often independent witness testimony can have a huge impact on proving who caused the accident.
- Call the Police and Take Photographs: The police report from the scene of the accident documents the incident and creates a “Traffic Collision Report.” These reports can help determine and show who was at fault in the accident. They also include essential information about the other driver that may prove helpful when negotiating the settlement. Photographs of the vehicles at the scene of the incident can also be helpful. It’s best to take photos before any vehicles have been moved. This will demonstrate the accident results best.
- DO NOT Give Any Statement to the Other Insurance Company: Whether recorded or not, do not give any statements before speaking with a lawyer. You are under NO obligation to do this. Do not speak to your injuries or make any comments about the incident. These statements can be used against you and damage your case. Insurance adjusters know how to ask tricky questions to get you to minimize your injuries or admit fault in some way. However, insurance companies cannot talk to you if an attorney represents you. Finding one to represent you as soon as possible ensures you don’t fall into any of the insurance traps and helps you get the compensation you deserve.
- Do Not Delay in Getting Medical Treatment: Regardless of whether your injuries are serious the day of the accident, seek medical treatment and get a professional opinion. Often injuries from vehicle accidents do not become severe until a few days after the accident. Delays in treatment give insurance companies more reason to minimize the severity of your situation and claim they are unrelated to the accident.
- Consult a Lawyer: Speak with an expert. Most injury lawyers, such as our team here at MKP Law Group, LLP, offer free initial consultations. Call us now for your own free consultation at 310-285-5353.
Typical Injuries and Damages That Riverside Trucking Accident Victims Sustain
Simply living in California puts you at a heightened risk of experiencing an accident with a large truck, recent FMCSA statistics show.
Reports from the National Safety Council show that the number of accident victims sustaining injuries during crashes with large trucks is ever increasing – year after year. In 2008, the total count of truck accident victims injured was 92,000. That number jumped to 150,000 a short decade later, and the latest count for 2019 showed a total of 160,000 injuries for the year.
Truck crash injuries are common. They may lead to broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and paralysis. Some vehicle occupants sustain traumatic brain injuries. In contrast, others walk away with just a few scratches and bruises.
Quantifying the damages after an accident, particularly those following big truck accidents that frequently lead to severe injuries can be difficult. Not only might you be unable to work (loss of income) for a period of time, you will have to pay medical bills. You may even experience ongoing trauma in various forms: physical, mental, or emotional.
Even worse are the repercussions following fatal truck accidents. If you’ve lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident you may have a wrongful death case to file instead of a personal injury case.
Working with an expert who knows how to help you manage the legal language and process will allow you to focus on healing. A dedicated Riverside truck accident attorney can advise you in response to your “what now” and “what if” questions. Even better, you do not have to worry about costs or payments until the personal injury case is settled.
Our Riverside Truck Accident Lawyer Claim Processing
In accidents with trucks of any weight class, the passenger vehicle involved in the accident is at a disadvantage and often walks away with serious losses.
Working with a lawyer helps ease the legal process for you and gives you the relief you need to focus on your personal recovery from your injuries resulting from the trucking accident.
Here is what the team at MKP Law Group, LLP will do for you if you work with one of our dedicated Riverside truck accident lawyers:
Due to the extensive property damage and the likelihood of catastrophic injury, almost every semi-truck accident will produce a police investigation and report. Our law office staff will obtain and review the police report and hire accident reconstruction experts to investigate the scene of the accident, trucker logs, and truck footage/data. We will also reach out to any eyewitnesses to obtain their statements. Our attorneys may have to send spoliation letters to the trucking company to demand that the trucking company preserve all relevant data, footage, and/or reports.
File an Insurance Claim
After completing the investigation, our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys will submit a claim to any and all insurance companies that may provide coverage for the incident. The claims submitted to each insurance company will include a demand for full compensation for your injury claim as well as a detailed summary as to why the trucking company/truck driver was negligent and liable for the injury claim.
Our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys know how to negotiate to maximize the case value. Before beginning negotiations, we talk to our clients to understand your ultimate goals for your injury claim to make sure we are all on the same page.
File a Lawsuit
If we are unable to resolve the case via settlement negotiations with the insurance company, the next step in the process is to file a lawsuit against all potential at-fault parties. During litigation, there is still the potential to settle the case out-of-court, but if the parties are unable to do so, then a trial will commence where evidence is presented, and a jury will issue a verdict. The jury will decide who is at fault for the accident and how much compensation is owed to the victim.
Contact an MKP Law Group, LLP Riverside Truck Accident Attorney Today
At MKP Law Group, LLP, we have personal injury attorneys that are highly experienced in handling truck accidents and strives to make the process as easy and quick as possible for you. Our highly specialized attorneys are experienced, attentive, dependable, and tenacious, so call us today to schedule your 100% consultation. As always, if we don’t win your case, you don’t owe us a dime.
Reviews & Testimonials
We work hard to do what’s right for our clients. Here are some of the most recent reviews of our vehicle accident legal services.